Thursday, March 20, 2014

Climb the Wall

I was just sitting here working on some upcoming sermons and working on details of upcoming youth events when my mind started to wander (I know that's hard to believe but let's focus).  I started thinking of my upcoming family vacation to Disney World and all that we're looking forward to; the shows, the rides, the memories and of course THE FOOD!  But my mind didn't stay in Disney too long. Before I knew it I was remembering the "hike" I went on with my two daughters this past fall.  We were hiking along a trail in a park that lead down toward a river, so of course we followed it.  It was pretty fun.  We were like ancient explorers looking to conquer a new land.  This trail headed down river and then headed off from the river up stream on one of the streams feeding into the river. So being the awesome explorers that we were we followed it.  This new trail wound its way around trees and up hills and in between large rock walls.  Then all of a sudden the trail ran into a dead end with a stream on one side and a rock wall on the other side and in front of us.  So we were faced with a life or death decision...turn back or try to climb the wall.

I was thinking that we would be turning back because no way was I taking two daughters back injured to our cabin where my wife was waiting. That just would have been suicide and I would have never heard the end of it if one (or both) fell while attempting to climb the wall of doom!  As I'm turning around to head back down the trail, my oldest daughter begins to climb the wall and before I could even say anything she was half way up as her and her sister talked to each other about where to put there hands and feet.  As a dad I just stood there and admired what they were able to do when faced with a hard decision.

Needless to say we all made it up without any issues and I didn't have to explain any broken bones to my wife - THANK YOU JESUS!  But I got to thinking...how often do we come face to face with a huge challenge and instead of trying to conquer them we turn back in fear.  The Bible is filled with scriptures that tell us not to be afraid (so it must be an important thing to remember) and Jesus takes it one step further and tells us that we will be able to accomplish great things (John 14:12).  I think when those challenges in life come God sits back and waits to see if we'll turn around or if we'll put our faith in Him and step and pull our way to the top of the wall to continue down the path that leads us deeper into Him.  Challenges are never easy and sometimes they are painful, but change and growth never come without trials and/or pain. Don't allow the walls in life to distract you from the path God is leading you down.  Climb the wall, continue down the path and enjoy the adventure you and God are on.

No comments:

Post a Comment