Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The reality of "Noah"



I've noticed something with every faith-based movie that comes out...Christians seem to draw a line in the sand about which ones to see and which to avoid.  The most recent movie to experience this "line drawing" is the movie "Noah".

Like it or hate it...see it or not...laugh at the rock creatures or cry from the blasphemy...that's not the reason for this post, enough people have already taken care of that.  I went and saw the movie on it's opening day and yes I did enjoy it (please don't call for my stoning!).  I just want to share some of my take aways from the movie and the debate surrounding it.

1  I think its pretty awesome how God works...think about it...He used an atheist to make a movie BASED on events in Scripture.  Yes, I know there are huge flaws in the story line when it's compared to Scripture, but then again what isn't flawed when compared to Scripture?

2.  This movie is being themed as the "most unbiblical biblical movie" so as Christians we have a huge opportunity to use this movie as a way to engage non-Christians in talks about what we know to really have happened.

3.  I think what the movie does get right just might be getting lost in the detail.  Two things I noticed that the movie did get right are that sin grieves God (which was the reason for the flood) and God is a God of grace. It wasn't Noah's work that saved him, it was God's grace.  God gives 2nd chances to everyone, but only a few tend to take hold of that 2nd chance.

So, love the movie or hate the movie - it has potential to be a great tool to share God's grace and have those conversations with people of different faiths or of no faith at all.  The choice is up to us as to how we use it . (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment